Friday, May 07, 2010

Fast Sunday

Okay - so I know that this cartoon has nothing to do with Fast Sunday, but it does have to do with the church and Hunter likes Star Wars - so, yes this post is about Hunter. This past Sunday Hunter asked Stacey if it was fast Sunday, and after finding out that it was, he declared that he was going to fast. I was so proud of his decision to do that. So, we went into a quiet room in the apartment (not an easy thing to so) and I explained to him what typically takes place in fasting prayer to Heavenly Father. He was a little nervous about what to do and what to say, so I went ahead and said the prayer. Hunter decided that he wanted to fast for Mommy and the Baby that they would be healthy and strong. After we said Amen I told him how proud I was of him and felt like he understood the true purpose of fasting. Of course, 5 minutes later he said "So, can I have some breakfast?" I said no and explained to him again about fasting. "Okay," he said, "I will just have a glass of water." I explained he couldn't have water - "What? Well, what can I have?" I explained that he couldn't have anything because that was the purpose of fasting - making sacrifices to grow closer to Heavenly Father. "Okay, about some gum?" Umm...no, you can't have anything buddy. "No one told me that! I wouldn't have fasted if I had known that! This is hard." We talked a little further about fasting, the purpose, and how it is done. I said that he would just have to miss breakfast and lunch and right after church he could eat again. He was a trooper and did a good job, but of course, he got some candy at church and when we got in the car he said "Everyone be quiet while I close my fast." I was able to talk him into waiting until we got home - that 2 minute drive home - and he agreed. I was so proud that he wanted to fast and completed his fast, and that he fasted for his Mother and sister (in the belly).

2 comments:

m@R(! said...

that is neat! wait!,i didn't know we couldn't have gum on fast sunday...this news could change things for me on fast sunday. :)

GRIFJR said...

That has been a debate among latter-day saints for many years now. You can look at it as the law of the fast and the spirit of the fast. Law of the fast states - no food, no water. Though you are not swallowing gum, it still has calories and it still has nutriets going into the body. In fact, gum has more calories than water and curbs appetite because of its contents and constant generation of saliva. If you are chewing gum to curb your appeitite then that is definitely not the spirit of the fast. Fasting is about sacrifice. If you are chewing gum because of your bad breath then that is more of the spirit of the law - but my suggestion is bring a tooth brush in your diaper bag...