Friday, February 08, 2008

The Griffin 5


It has been almost 2 weeks since Samantha joined our family. We have really enjoyed the adjustment. She has been the sweetest thing - she rarely cries, only on the occasional diaper change and when she doesn't get fed fast enough. We have really noticed how patient she is in everything so far. She lets us do just about anything to her and she doesn't complain. Hopefully, that will continue throughout her life. Samantha appears to be happy - though the only time she smiles is when she is asleep or falling asleep. Hunter and Ryan absolutely love her. They keep telling us "I just love Samantha." Sometimes they say it as they are playing with their toys or doing something that doesn't even involve their sister - but I think they just have this overwhelming sense of joy and love that comes over them and they have to express it. Tonight as I drove home from work, I stopped to pick up Ryan at his friend's, Ben, house. We talked on the drive home and I asked him what he thought about his little sister. He responded with a full heart and tendor voice, "She is the sweetest thing." We all love her so much and have to fight over who is going to hold her next, but she has easily transitioned into our family. Sometimes Stacey and I have this realization that we have a daughter (whenever I say that it seems so weird after having just boys for so many years) and an extra person to our family - a feeling that is hard to explain, except that you will understand when you have children of your own. But at the same time she has felt like she has always been a part of our family and that is why she is so easy to love. Tonight, I got to hold her and she fell asleep on my chest. I just rocked her for quite some time and took in the alone and quiet time I had with her. There is nothing more precious then having a child curled up in your arms with her head on you chest. What a wonderful addition to our household!

No comments: