Saturday, May 27, 2006

Fire Joe Morgan

I recently read that Joe Morgan received an article that said "Bob Costas, Joe Buck, Cris Collinsworth and Joe Morgan were honored as outstanding sports personalities... Morgan as an event analyst for ESPN." So, basically Morgan won a Sports Emmy, but I am not quite sure why. I know that he announces the Sunday Night Baseball game on ESPN, but is there something else that he does? There is no way he could win an Emmy for his baseball game announcing. The guy is the worst analyst I have ever heard. Thank goodness for Jon Miller and his announcing abilities or else Joe Morgan would be fired. Morgan has no clue as to what pitch the pitcher threw. I have seen him time and time again call a fastball a change-up and a curve a fastball and a change-up a curve. Furthermore, he is so negative about the game of baseball and players today. He never has anything good to say - and plus he never has anything smart to say. A couple of weeks ago I was watching the Sunday night game, and the center fielder made a great diving catch. Miller went on and on about the great play, but Morgan added "Well, frankly that is what center fielders are paid to do." What an idiotic statement. Give the player some credit. Additionally, Morgan always talks about how great he was, and how great his team was, and how great the game of baseball was back in his day. Baseball analysts should analyze the game and talk about the players from the game they are currently discussing. Frankly, Morgan is probably the worst analyst/broadcaster in the game of baseball right now (besides Tino Martinez - but we will give him some time to get his feet under him. Remember how Harold Reynolds was when he first came to ESPN), and I have no idea why ESPN keeps bringing him back. I do not believe there is a true baseball fan out there that respects Morgan for his broadcasting abilities - and most didn't care for his baseball skills and "flapping arm" when he was at bat.
While looking for some material on Joe Morgan I came across a website that is probably the sweetest website I have ever seen. It focuses a lot on Morgan's weekly chat on ESPN and then analyzes everything he says. I don't think I have laughed so hard as I did when I read the things posted on this website. If you get a chance, then check it out www.firejoemorgan.blogspot.com. I think you will get a kick out of it also - especially if you are a true fan of the game of baseball.

1 comment:

Murph said...

I agree. Morgan is painful to listen to.