Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Opposite of YESDAD

So, on Saturday night, Hunter and Ryan built a 'fort' out of blankets and pillows in out room. Ryan ended up sleeping all night in the fort, but Hunter crawled in bed with us. As part of the YESDAD movement, I allowed the fort and the sleeping in our bed to happen. However, sleep for me that night was horrible. Anyway, on Sunday I came home from church ready to take a good nap to catch up on my lack of sleep. Hunter wanted to play Madden 09 on the Wii with me, and I very much wanted to say 'no,' but then Stacey said "remember YESDAD." So, I played the Wii with him. We had a great time. I even showed Ryan how to play the game and he had fun with it. I eventually got a 20 minute nap in, but was awaken by the boys.

So the story continues....last night Hunter and Ryan wanted to build the fort again and sleep in it. Though my YESDAD process should have been to say "YES," I emphatically said "NO." Other factors outrank YESDAD - these factors included school day the following day and my lack of sleep if they were to crawl into my bed. Besides, they weren't spending time with me or asking me to do something for them, this was just something they wanted to do and there was more harm than benefit.

The moral of the post is: you can't always be a YESDAD.

3 comments:

cari said...

Your finding a good balance with the YESDAD. I guess you can't always say yes, so your kids will enjoy the times you do say YES.

GRIFJR said...

THANKS for reading my blog all the time! Let me know when it gets boring...

mommag said...

I enjoyed catching up on your blog. I haven't been on for awhile. You are a great writer.